SC - Rose Syrup

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Wed May 19 23:05:48 PDT 1999

On Wed, 19 May 1999 01:08:25 -0000 Dottie Elliott <macdj at flash.net>
writes:
>I have a friend who is looking for rose syrup to make cordials. Does
>anyone know what type of store I could suggest she find to buy this
>ingredient?
>
>Clarissa

Hope this helps.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kitchen Steward of Household Port Karr
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com

	Rose Soda
	Adapted from The 'Libre de Diversis Medicinis' in the Thornton
Manuscript (MS. Lincoln Cathedral, A.5.2). Edited by Margaret Sinclair
Ogden. Published for the Early English Text Society by Humphrey Milford,
Oxford University Press. Amen House, E.C. 4. England. 1938. Text circa
early 1400 CE. Page 60. Posted by "Crystal A. Isaac" <crystal at pdr-is.com>
	"Rose Syrup: Tak an vnce or twa of roses & sethe tham in water to
the ij partis be sothen in. Than clene it thurgh clathe & do suger
ther-to & sethe it to it be thikk as hony & vse as thu dose the tother."
	My interpretation: Take an ounce or two of roses and seethe them
in twice as much water until they are soft. The strain them through cloth
and add sugar. Reduce it until it is the thickness of honey. The use it
as you do the other (the honey?).
	Also adapted from: Anonymous. An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of
the 13th Century. A Complete Translation by Charles Perry of the Arabic
Edition of Ambrosio Huici Miranda with the assistance of an English
Translation by Elise Flemming, Stephen Bloch, Habib ibn Al-Andalusi and
Janet Hinson of the Spanish Translation by Ambrosio Huici Miranda. ©1992
by Charles Perry. Reprinted in A Collection of Medieval and Renaissance
Cookery Books by Friedman, David (Sir Cariadoc of the Bow) Published
privately. Page A-73
	"Syrup of Fresh Roses, and the Recipe for Making It Take a ratl
of fresh roses, after removing the dirt from them, and cover them with
boiled water for a day and night, until the water cools and the roses
fall apart in the water. Clean it and take the clean part of it and add
to a ratl of sugar. Cook all this until it takes the form of a syrup.
Drink an uqiya of this with two of hot water...."
	1 TB rose extract
	2 oz dried rosehips
	1 pound sugar
	water to one gallon
	Rose extract can be found at Indian grocery stores. Bring sugar
and rosehips to a gentle boil in 1 or 2 quarts of water until the
rosehips have given the solution a pleasant pink color. Skim out all the
pieces of rosehips (strain if necessary). Add water to one gallon. Allow
solution to cool to 70 degrees, and add rose extract and champagne yeast.
Stir. Bottle quickly. Allow to stay at room temperature for about 3-5
days then keep refrigerated.