SC - Folk Wines

Ben Engelsberg bengels at chronic.lpl.arizona.edu
Sat May 22 12:58:49 PDT 1999

Thank you all for your warm and gracious welcome!

Recently, an excellent book on folk wines and brewing came into my hands,
and I thought I would mention it here, for those interested in such
things.

The book is titled _Folk Wines, Cordials, & Brandies_  It is written by
M.A. Jagendorf.  It is a compilation of American and European folk wines
and other liquors.  The recipes and proceedures documented in this book
are largely based on late 19th and early 20th century sources, although
they coincide very closely with those from more period documents.

It is interesting to observe that the household practice of wine and beer
making has not changed substantially in quite some time.

The book cointains a large number of interesting recipesm, as well as
excellent commentary by Jagendorf on the drinking, brewing, and the
general enjoyment of wine and liquor.

The book is (c) 1963, by the Vanguard Press
Library of Congress #63-21854