SC - RE: Rice

Mon May 24 08:38:01 PDT 1999

> >  this seems pretty weird. What could
> > withstand 15-20 minutes of boiling?
> >
> 	As I recall it is not neccessarily something that has survived,
> (because I agree about the boiling) but that rice is particularily prone
> getting this particular bug AFTERWARD - and it has something to do with
> the
> way this rice is processed - leaving lots of loose starch on each grain
> >  Also, since one of the hallmarks of
> > Japanese cooking is "It was hot once." they've had centuries of letting
> > the stuff lay about unrefrigerated.
>
> > I've never noticed any problem with even un-sushi-vinegared rice
> > balls at room temp for an afternoon.
> 	No - for a short while, no, but my understanding of the original
> request was for a something to be stored in a cooler (presumably the
> american equivalent of my English coldbox) for possibly a couple of days.
>

> 	karin

I think you are talking about Bacillus cereus.  It is a fairly common
bacteria, to which most people are resistant at normal concentrations.
There appear to be several different strains, some more pathological than
others.

The problem is it infects cooked cereals, has a fast reproduction time, and
produces a heat resistant toxin.  The effective reproduction temperature is
from below 40 degrees F to around 130-140 degrees F.  The bacteria is
aerobic.

Onset is one to six hours.  Symptoms are abdominal pain, vomiting and
diarrhea.

Bear