SC - Personal Confession

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sat May 29 17:16:44 PDT 1999

Well, we all have to learn some time ;-)

That's a good part of the reason I want to teach the butchering class- too
many of us just don't realize what is edible on an animal. I pretty well
impressed the fellow who was teaching me to butcher the lamb (had always
been told that lambs were different from any other animal, so I believed
them until I found someone I could trust to show me) when, having brought
two 5 gallon buckets to dispose of my offal, he only half-filled one with
the intestines and blood anf gall-bladder and feet and such because I had a
use for everything else- I left the blood and intestines because I wasn't
going to make sausage, but I kept the hide for tanning, the stomach for a
haggis, along with most of the internal organs, the head was split for
tongue and brains, etc. Now that I've seen recipes for feet and such, next
time I won't leave that much......

While I hate killing, I believe it is my responsibility as a meat eater to
understand and realize fully what I'm doing every time I eat meat- my way of
pointing that up to myself is to hunt and/or butcher every year. If there
comes a time I can't do it, I'll quit eating meat.

Trust me- it's never easy, though I can and will make it look that way.

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig