SC - Growing Ginger!

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat May 1 10:32:22 PDT 1999

>I'm in north Georgia (zone7?). I've got the ginger in a pot on the
>front porch now, but can take it in over the winter. You mention
different
>varieties of ginger-- are all of them edible? Do they vary
>significantly in
>how they taste?
>
>-Margritte

Hey Margritte!
	I must have missed your original message.  I have some white ginger
growing in my yard that I got from Micheline a few years ago.  I needed
something tall that would grow in front of my electric meter, but not
over it.  It has wintered every year just fine, and gives beautiful white
blooms in the summer.  I have yet to harvest any, (although I know I can)
because I wanted it to get established first, which it has done
beautifully.  It is in an area that is damp and shady, right under a
tulip poplar tree.  It does get some sunlight, but not a whole bunch.
Hope this helps,
	Christianna
	(only about 40 miles from Margritte)