SC - Period potato recipe

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon May 3 16:52:24 PDT 1999

I was browsing through one of my Spanish cookbooks, looking for
something else entirely, when I came across a recipe for a citron-potato
conserve.  In view of past discussions, I thought it might interest some
of the gentles here.

Source: "Libro del Arte de Cozina" (Spanish, 1599); translation mine

CIDRA Y PATATA -- Citron and Potato

The citron must be mature, make it into four quarters, and remove the
sourness, and peel it, and then grate it, and cast it in to cook, and
having brought it to boil two or three times, set it aside, and let it cool,
and then wash it in tepid water, and cast it in a hair sieve, and wash it in
cold waters, until it is not bitter, and leave it until it drains very well.  The
potatoes must be large, and washed, and cast them in to cook, and
when they are tender, peel them, and pass them through a clarifying
hair sieve, and then weigh it, and combine it with the citron, and mix it
all well, and have in a boiler clarified sugar, and instantly, [it being]
thick, cast it in, and set it to cook on a fire of coals, which should be
mild, and let it cook, and stir it constantly with one hand, so that it
doesn't stick, and when the bottom of the boiler becomes white, it is
cooked: cast in a little orange-blossom water, and a little musk, and set
it aside, and beat it a while until it cools, and then cast it in the box,
and have it five or six days in the sun, and then keep it.  The quantity
must be, to two pounds of sugar, one and a quarter of potato, and one
of citron.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)