SC - Citron and Potato

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue May 4 21:10:30 PDT 1999

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain answered my question with:
> And it came to pass on 4 May 99,, that Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > Lady Brighid ni Chiarain posted a recipe:
> > >
> > > Source: "Libro del Arte de Cozina" (Spanish, 1599); translation mine
> > >
> > > CIDRA Y PATATA -- Citron and Potato
> >
> > How sure are you that the potato that is meant is the white potato?
>
> I am not certain at all, but I felt that period recipes for any kind of potato
> were rare enough to be of interest.

Uh oh. Please don't get me wrong. Yes, period recipes for either type of
potato are of interest. It's just a consideration that occurred to me after
hearing comments on this list about potatos previously.

As I don't like sweet potatos, I was not trying to influence things in that
direction. Just interested in finding out the correct potato if possible.

>One possible clue is that the
> mixture is to be cooked until the stuff at the bottom of the boiler turns
> white.  If you were starting with white potato and citron and sugar, then I
> assume the mixture would become more opaque, and look whiter.

Yes, I missed this. I don't see how you could get the orange sweet potato
to go white.

> I wish I'd noticed this before, but this source is not the one I'm primarily
> working with, and it's over 400 pages, and as a diabetic, I don't pay
> much attention to confectionary recipes.

Yes, as I also a diabetic, I understand this. Wish I could use Nutra-sweet
to make Sekanjabn.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: