SC - Accomodating Vegetarians at Period Feasts

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed May 5 05:35:00 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/5/99 4:17:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lilinah at grin.net
writes:

<< How do people cope with feeding vegetarians?>>

Unless I recieve specific news by the person involved, I don't.

<< Do Feast Cooks ever make some
 of the main courses without meat, but substituting non-European (but
 period) food such as tofu and seitan? >>

Probably. I've seen some pretty unusual feast dishes done for whatever reason
or the other, ususally done unnecessarily, IMO.

Plain vegetables boiled, roasted, and fried are period.  Oftentimes we forget
 that simple prep is an option which is period and  eliminates any need to
substitute modern recipes . The main thing is to provide variety so both
carnivores and herbivores are satisfied. :-)

Ras