SC - Pipkins are?

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed May 5 12:20:58 PDT 1999

>Interesting. I wonder if these pots were originally used to stew apples or
if
>the apples took their name from the pot. Does anuone know?

My sources say the name is probably derived from pipe. (There is a drawing
of a three-legged pot that might be a pipkin on p. 206 of A Taste of
History, BTW.) Pippin, on the other hand, is originally French. Not sure if
pipkins were used for apples originally but they were certainly used for
amblongusses ...

AMBLONGUS PIE

4 pounds fresh amblongusses
2 pints new milk
1 whole nutmeg
1 cup shredded gingerbread
1 tbsp curry powder
6 pinches cayenne pepper
1 small pigeon
2 slices of beef
4 cauliflower heads
oysters

Take 4 pounds (say 4 1/2 pounds) of fresh amblongusses, and put them in a
small pipkin. Cover them with water and boil them for 8 hours incessantly,
after which add 2 pints of new milk and proceed to boil for 4 hours more.
When you have ascertained that the amblongusses are quite soft, take them
out and place them in a wide pan, taking care to shake them well previously.

Grate some nutmeg over the surface, and cover them carefully with the
shredded gingerbread, curry powder, and a sufficient quantity of cayenne
pepper. Remove the pan into the next room, and place it on the floor. Bring
it back again, and let it simmer for three-quarters of an hour. Shake the
pan violently till all the amblongusses have become a pale purple colour.

Then, having prepared a paste, insert the whole carefully, adding at the
same time a small pigeon, 2 slices of beef, 4 cauliflowers, and any number
of oysters. Watch patiently till the crust begins to rise, and add a pinch
of salt from time to time.

Serve up in a clean dish, and throw the whole out of the window as fast as
possible.

Serves 6.

Nonsense Gazette
Edward Lear