SC - FW: Poaching Eggs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed May 5 22:50:11 PDT 1999

Margarite asked:
> Is the poaching method of preparing eggs Period? I would appreciate
> recipes. I couldn't find anything on this in the Floregium. Thanks in
> advance,

Well, if you find anything out on this, please post it and then it'll
get into the Florilegium. :-)

This did make me curious so I looked eggs up in Waverly Root's "Food".
Not much there on cooking of eggs or info for our period I'm afraid.

However, he does mention:
"The first chickens in the West seem to have appeared in Central
Europe about 1500 BC. They probably reached the Mediterranean area
in Greece sometime between 1100 BC and 720 BC".

"During the Renaissance, eggs were the chief food (and in some places
almost the only one) eaten in addition to meat. [wonder what he bases
this on???]

"The historian Benedetto Varchi produced a treatise on boiled eggs
early in the sixteenth century." [Wonder if this would make a good
translation project for someone who knows Latin (or Italian?) ?]

"...and in the seventeenth the renowned French cook Pierre Francois
de la Varenne wrote a cookbook containing sixty different recipes
for eggs." [Maybe another interesting translation project, but
perhaps a bit late unless there is some proof that some of these
recipes might date from earlier times.]

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: