SC -gelatinous properties, was chessboards

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Fri May 7 11:37:34 PDT 1999

I'm trying to find a mention of  carageenan in any of our references or
original sources.  No luck, yet, but Ann Hagen says, in _A Handbook of
Anglo-Saxon Food_, the Processing and Consumption volume:

"Cereal-derived flummery produced a slightly acid, solid jelly, ...."

She is not talking about carageenan here, is she?  A product derived from
moss would not come under the 'cereal' heading, I don't think.  The word
'flummery' is not generally used in the USA, but is it still used in GB
for puddings, et al?  Does anyone know, specifically, what Hagen means?

I don't read or speak any of the Celtic languages.  Has anyone come
across any mention of carageenan in any writings?  There must be
something, or so many of you nice people wouldn't have known to post
about it!

Thanks and Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA