SC - Re: Blanc Desire

Heather Payton tamamsk at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 15:35:49 PDT 1999

Being relatively new to the list I have finally gathered enough courage to
speak out.

I have a copy of a modern recipie for "blandissorye" from Pleyn Delit.  I
don't know how helpful or accurate it is but, it's got to be a start.
have fun

Blandissorye

Take the zolkys of Eggs sodyn and temper it wyth mylk of a kow and do
ther'to Comyn and Saffron and flowr' of ris or wastel bread mynced and grynd
in a morter and temper it up wyth the milk and mak it boyle and do ther'to
wit of Egg' corvyn smale and tak fat chese and kerf ther'to to wan the
licour is boyled and serve it forth. AC II.19

"Even the etymology of this dish is somewhat confusing, since many of the
recipies include (as this one does) saffron, so that it is hardly 'blanc'.
Most contain chicken meat rather than eggs and cheese, and are thickened
with almonds and rice flour, using water rather than milk; many advise
sweetening with sugar.  Anyone who wishes to try such varients is welcome,
but we prefer this one.  If you wish to serve it as a thick sauce or side
dish, use half the recommended amount of milk."

Soup of Milk, Eggs and Cheese

6 eggs, hard boiled
3 cups milk
1/2 - 1 cup bread crumbs (depending on how finely ground) or 3 tbsp rice
flour or cornstarch
1/4 tsp each cumin and saffron, ground (if you must grind the saffron
yourself, do it in a morter or saucer with the salt)
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup soft or semi-soft cheese, cut into fairly small pieces

Beat together the egg yolks, milk, and all other ingredients except egg
whites and cheese: a blender is useful for this.  Cook, stirring constantly,
in a pan over medium heat until thick.  Then add the egg whites, minced, and
cheese, and stir for a few minutes more before serving.

Pleyn Delit - Medieval Cookery for Modern Cooks, Hieatt, C and Butler, S.
I hope this will be of some use
Anon