SC - Qyercyan? apple cake

LordVoldai at aol.com LordVoldai at aol.com
Sun May 9 21:32:06 PDT 1999

Good Genteles,

Below is a recipe from one of my aforementioned television shows.  The first
part of the name is supposedly from france.  Has anyone ever heard of this
region and is this recipe (ro some form of it) period.  I thank you in
advance for any enlightenment you may give.

In Service
Volodislav ludozertzça z Karpat
mka Chad Graber

QUERCYAN APPLE CAKE

450g / 1lb plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
2eggs
40g / 1½oz butter, creamed

FOR THE FILLING:
1.5kg / 3lb apples, peeled and thinly sliced
225g / 8oz sugar
120 ml/4fl oz rum
85ml / 3fl oz orange flower water
thinly pared rind of 1 lemon

TO FINISH:
25g / 1oz butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
caster sugar (granulated sugar)

Macerate the sliced apples with the filling ingredients overnight.  Strain
the apples, reserving the juice.

Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, put butter and eggs into
a well in the centre.  Working with the fingertips gradually add 200ml / 7fl
oz of the liquid from the apples.  Work into a smooth and elastic paste with
your hand and leave to rest for 2 hours. Roll out as thinly as possible, then
transfer to a floured cloth on a large table.  Working from the centre, with
the palms of your hands, carefully stretch the paste to the thinness of a
cigarette paper.  Rest it and yourself for 1 hour.

Brush lightly with melted butter and dust with sugar, cover with well drained
apples and roll up.  Mix the remaining juice into the beaten egg and brush
over the top.  Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C / 390°F / Gas 5 for 50-55
minutes.