SC - Words of wisdom

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Mon May 10 11:16:54 PDT 1999

There are some pratical cooking tips that may not yet have been
mentioned:

Increase roasting/baking time for full ovens vs. home oven with a
	single dish at a time.
Explain how fast a large pot of starchy material will scorch on
	a gas stove!
Extra time to bring large quantities of water to boiling.

Bring adequate cooking tools if you're not sure the site has them -
some scout camps that we cook at only have liquid measures in
1 qt. plus sizes, so having smaller measuring cups and spoons may
be helpful.   Also some smaller pots for intermediate ingredient cooking.
I guess this could be summed up by saying you should know what's
available in the kitchen - and be prepared to bring anything else
you need.

Check and see if your shire or group has a 'kitchen kit' with
cleanup and cooking supplies that would be available.

Line up adequate helpers before the event.  Drop in helpers will
speed things up, but you shouldn't count on them!

Hope this helps,
	-----Gille MacDhnouill