SC - Words of wisdom

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon May 10 17:49:37 PDT 1999

CONRAD3 at prodigy.net writes:

<< In July, my husband and I are giving a class dealing with being a Kitchen
 Steward for the first time.   What I would like to know from you good folks
 is what information/ tips/ hints/ etc., would you have liked to known before
 doing your first feast? >>

The biggest problem I've had, and am still having after two feasts and
several lunches and breakfasts, is how much to scale up the recipes.  So far,
I have always ended up buying too much of something.  For instance, when
parboiling quantities of meat in wine and water for a meat pie, how do you
figure out how much wine you need?  I've found that simply multiplying gives
far too much liquid.  Also, how do you figure out cooking times for larger
portions (I'm working on instinct right now, which mostly works but not
always.)
One piece of advice I received this weekend (courtesy of Aoife Finn by way of
Ragnar Ketilsson) is "For SCA feasts, one ounce of each vegetable per person,
and fish count as a vegetable".  Unfortunately I received it after buying far
too much of the vegetables, but I'll certainly keep it in mind for the next
time.

Brangwayna Morgan