Fw: Re: HERB - Fw: Re: SC - Celery

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun May 9 13:27:39 PDT 1999

- --------- Forwarded message ----------
From: RAISYA at aol.com
To: herbalist at Ansteorra.ORG
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 15:09:24 EDT
Subject: Re: HERB - Fw: Re: SC - Celery

Christianna,

You posted something from the cooks' list by an Allison from Aethelmarc:

>>I suspect that celery may have been seen mostly as a medicinal herb,
>>rather than as a vegetable,

I don't agree.  As early as the 9th century, Strabo writes:

	"Celery is now held cheap in our gardens and many think
Taste is its only merit.  But it has its virtues
And offers quick help in many remedies." ("XX.  Celery",  HORTULUS)

He finds it necessary to point out that it has medicinal uses in addition
the taste, which I think is strong evidence it was eaten for its flavor.
It
was also included in the vegetable garden of the St. Gall plan, not the
medicinal garden.

Hope this helps!

Raisya
tasks.