SC - OED

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue May 11 23:25:34 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/11/99 11:06:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nn3_shay at yahoo.com writes:

<<  I hadn't found that loophole access, and
 while I fully support the rights of copyright holders to protect their
 rights, I still wouldn't have been able to resist using it.

 -- Harriet >>

Then again ciopyright does not extend itself to personal use. If the OED  was
being used for commersial gain by someone then certainly they could and
should demand  recompense.  But the fact of the matter is that despite any
copywrite laws , I can copy any work at will for my opwn use without paying
royalties.

So far as, the commersial aspects are concerned, a person can defend
accumulation of wealth as opposed to knowledge shoudl be freely available to
all  forever. I am of the later thiought and nothing that anyone says will
ewver change my mind. If a person is willing to learn then the sources of
that knowledge should be made available without any restriction, cost, or
opther incumberance immediately and without question. End of argument. To do
otherwise is a total  betrayal of humanity and the supreme expression of self
- -interest. If the owners of the OED want to make money, then they can sell
deep fried chicken. It's that simple.

Rass