SC - "personal recipies"

Dottie Elliott macdj at flash.net
Wed May 12 05:46:02 PDT 1999

>> Once the recipe has changed from the original even a single iota it is
>>  no longer able to be called 'period'. It is a personal recipe. And, I can
>>  think of no excuse which is valid for doing so other than laziness on the
>>  part of the Kitchen Steward,.

Well is the Kitchen Steward cooking the food in a period manner as well?
Does the kitchen steward know how and what materials were used to cook
things in period? The way something is cooked will change the flavor.
Therefore, since its not cooked in a period manner its should just be a
personal recipe as well since its not COMPLETELY period.

I believe in only serving documentable recipes at feasts and I do that.
However, sometimes I can't get an ingredient or its too expensive or its
not practicle and I will occasionally have to substitute. Also, sometimes
I have particular needs (like all finger foods) and I will adapt recipes
so that I am still serving medieval tasting foods but maybe they are
handpies instead of a full pie or meat balls instead of meat wrapped in a
casing.

This is not laziness. I have done the research and applied it to a
particular situation in a particular way as ANY cook in ANYTIME would do.

Clarissa