SC - OED

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed May 12 15:28:30 PDT 1999

>So far as, the commersial aspects are concerned, a person can defend
>accumulation of wealth as opposed to knowledge shoudl be freely available
>all  forever. I am of the later thiought and nothing that anyone says will
>ewver change my mind. If a person is willing to learn then the sources of
>that knowledge should be made available without any restriction, cost, or
>opther incumberance immediately and without question.

My husband's been working on a dissertation, it may be published as a book
someday. We hope he'll make a small profit from it (though not bloody
likely).  Following your logic, he should skip all of that and just post it
up on a website because it is a source of knowledge and should therefore be
made available to anyone that wants it.  I don't think so.  And if he
shouldn't why should the OED?

There's still millions of people using the copy at their public or
university library.  A relatively inexpensive version is available for those
who cannot wait until they are at the library or make a special trip. Heck,
I just experimented: the reference librarian will read the definition over
the phone for crying out loud, including spelling the words I needed
spelled.  The OED is so available through any number of sources that
whinging about it NOT being available on line is just silly.

Bonne