SC - "personal recipies"

Tollhase1 at aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Thu May 13 04:13:44 PDT 1999

In and of our own nature, we cannot truly recreate medieval dishes, even if
we believe we are.  Paridoxly, we probably by doing what we do cooking
medievally.  Take for example the Knight whom brought back from the Middle
East a wonderful Dish.  When his Middle Eastern Friend Came to visit him in
Europe, The knight served a wonderful feast.  His guest begged for the one of
the recipes to which the Knight gladly gave.  The cook scratched his head and
politely replied when asked, "My lord, this is the recipe that you gave my
Lord."

Point being, Even then, each cook used their own best judgments to please
those they served.  There are so many recipes that say, season to taste using
savory, or sweet or mix till done.  That leaves us all able to interput them
as we wish.

I will agree that I am still very much a beginner, and that I must learn a
great deal more.  In time, I hope to learn as Most Medieval Cooks new what
seasonings were probably used as well as how strong.  Phrases like "stir as
long as it takes to say a noontime prayer" will eventually make sense.

I was accused at our last shire meeting that my redaction's, etc., tend to
follow the medieval practice of season to taste and work until right.  But
medieval cooks recipe/output would have change from season to season based
upon what was available.  For me, I have access to free duck, ostrich, goose
and mundane chicken eggs almost any time I want.  During the summer months, I
know a local large scale produce grower near me, I many times get veggies for
free.  Guess what I use a lot of.  From that I picked out my feast.  Yes, I
am somewhat guilty of finding period recipes that match what I want to make.
But, I have tried to find period recipes that come close to matching.  As I
read more and more recipes, I do get a better feel what and how they cooked,

I agree with Cardiac that there are a lot more recipes out there to try that
with little or any adaptations can be used that are quite tasty.  I really
wished that I new more about Medieval German so that I could do better in
that area.  That is one reason why I am on this list.

Perhaps This is a springboard for more classes at Pennsic from you folks that
know more.  How is that German Glossary coming that some of you were working
on?  What about a class on period seasonings.  What, why and how.  A class on
times in the SCA.  Just how long were those prayers.  Hint, More German
Cooking Classes, Heck any Cooking classes.

Frederich,