SC - Sources, not sauces... slightly OT

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri May 14 05:11:52 PDT 1999

Classification of sources is a good topic for setting the cat amongst the
pigeons or the poison pen amongst the academics -  in a situation like that,
ask the adjudicator what THEY mean by "secondary source".

I was taught at university (and this is how I listed my sources at the end
of my work) that a primary source was a source which originated in the
period i.e. writings, sculpture, paintings, architecture, clothing,
jewellery, etc.  OR  an exact record of that source. i.e. printing of
literature in the original language or alphabet, drawings of stele
inscriptions, photos of architecture, technical drawings of archaeological
digs, etc.

A secondary source was a work written about the primary source. i.e. a
translation of the literature into English, an analysis of changing dress or
architectural styles, etc.

A tertiary source (never ever used!) was an "historical novel" or coffee
table book! <grin> Generally based on secondary sources, with not much more
than a passing sneeze at primary sources.

OK this is a rough explanation, and one can quibble on minor points. However
whilst this was applied to my major of Egyptology (yes, in that instance
Bear, dead people did count as primary source material <smile>), I think it
applies pretty much to what we do in the SCA also. HOWEVER, not everyone
agrees with this, so you should always ask someone to clarify their
definitions (and it's amazing how many people you can catch out on that
one). And then be prepared to argue about it. Perhaps there should be
subsections of the first category - "physical primary source" and "replica
primary source"?

As for your using a secondary source - well, you can't exactly nip over to
England, go to the BL and ask to borrow a cooking manuscript for a couple of
weeks.  There's no shame in using the secondary source if you can't read
medieval Venetian for instance. Not many of us can speak a modern foreign
language, let alone a dead one (though if anyone wants some C18th BC
Egyptian recipes translated....<sm> no, no, I'm years out of practice)  If
you're clear that you're using the most authentic source you're capable of,
no-one can fault you on that. Take pride in the fact you've done the best
you could. You did your research, just remember to write it down - on the
other hand, try not to do an "Alice's A&S Documentation" job!

And remember we may call A&S arbiters "judges", but in my notsohumble
opinion, whether they are endowed with a pointy hat, pointy heels,
waterfowl, excess vegetation or not, no-one has the right to 'judge' what
you do. They can give you advice, inspiration, encouragement or criticism -
but that's all. And hopefully they will give you more of the former than the
latter...

BTW what's a "hallowed Cook"? Anything like a sacred cow? Well, you know
what they say about those! <grin>

Al Vostro e al Servizio del Sogno
Lucretzia (hoping the rock is flame-retardant)

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536