SC - Sources, not sauces... slightly OT

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 14 07:59:22 PDT 1999

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Source material, yes, but not very good as a first-hand conversationalist.
> However, I will admit to having a conversation with a well embalmed cook
> over at Denco's one early morning an eon ago.

Was that embalmed or pickled ;  ) ?

> > And remember we may call A&S arbiters "judges", but in my notsohumble
> > opinion, whether they are endowed with a pointy hat, pointy heels,
> > waterfowl, excess vegetation or not, no-one has the right to 'judge' what
> > you do. They can give you advice, inspiration, encouragement or criticism
> > -
> > but that's all. And hopefully they will give you more of the former than
> > the
> > latter...
> >
> > Al Vostro e al Servizio del Sogno
> > Lucretzia (hoping the rock is flame-retardant)

A point worth noting (although it may be coincidental) is that, unless
I'm vastly mistaken and confusing English with German, the root of the
word "arbiter" is a word referring to _working_ in a given medium. Let
us not put the Hat before the horse.

> In a somewhat parallel discussion on the Ansteorran list, we are commenting
> on the idea of master works, as were required for elevation in some guilds.
> One of the problems I have pointed out is a realistic evaluation of a
> masterpiece requires that the judges be thoroughly conversant with the
> mysteries of the art being judged.
>
> I opted out of the A&S competitions years ago mainly because of superficial
> and erroneous evaluations.  Perhaps, what is needed is a little instruction
> in advising, critquing, and encouraging rather than posturing,
> pontificating, and prevaricating. :-)

The SCA does seem to have a problem with people that can't see
themselves as competent, confident, and consultable unless it's at
someone else's expense, and who seem to feel threatened by anyone else's
achievements. Silly, but, I believe, true. Doubters should attend their
kingdom's meetings for the local service award holders, if your kingdom
does that sort of thing. "That's nothing! When _Iiiiiiiii_ was
autocratting events, we had to carve out reservations in stone tablets
with our noses, since chisels hadn't been invented yet!" "You had noses?
That was luxury!!!"

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy