SC - "personal recipies" (long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 14 22:14:30 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/14/99 8:16:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> << I don't think anybody said, at any time, that a cook can never make
>  changes to a period recipe (although Ras, in his enthusiasm, _may_ have
>  come somewhat close ;  )   ).  >>
>
> Point taken, Master. :-( I will try to do better in the future. ;-(
>
> Ras

Sorry, wasn't meant as a criticism. I did put in the little smiley. The
statement as I saw it was perhaps a little more unequivocal than most of
us ought to get, but it has since become evident that you've possibly
reconsidered and qualified the statement, which solved the problem
rather well, I think.

As Lady Bonne pointed out, and I've agreed for years, it's probably a
good idea to get away from worrying about whether something is "period",
because the definition is sort of meaningless without qualifications
sufficient to make use of a term like "appropriate for a
sixteenth-century Spaniard" a simpler and more effective option. Once
you get into "it's period for a person in such-and-such a time and in
such-and-such a place", it is no longer especially useful to bother with
the term.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy