SC - Period Tomato Sauce

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 17 22:55:03 PDT 1999

Ras commented:
> LordVoldai at aol.com writes:
> << actually katsup was not known speciffically for tomatoes until the heinz
>  company got ahold of it.  it was made in the home in the early part of this
>  century from various vegtables.
>
>  Voldai >>
>
> Correct. This discussion has come up several times in the past on this list.
> Perhaps Stefan has the  files  or parts thereof in his Flore-thingy for the
> perusal of anyone interested in that topic.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think I have that there. I do have the
quote on tomato sauces (multiple times) that started this thread, but I think
when we were discussing Katsups it was not clear (to me, anyway) that these
were medieval or renaissance versus 19th or 20th century creations.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****