SC - Food expiration dates

Wed May 19 06:54:39 PDT 1999

> Granted, baking powder can loose it's strength, yeast can dessicate and
> die,
> flours (especially those containing the germ of the grain), various fats,
> etc. can and do go rancid and become inedible.
>
> Ras

Baking powder is usually good for a year.  I throw the unused out and buy
fresh in the spring.

Dry active yeast is good for six months to a year on the shelf.  Sealed in a
jar and refrigerated, shelf life is indeterminate.  I've used 4 year old
yeast without problems and had fresh yeast fail.  I recommend buying bulk
yeast, keeping it in a seled jar in the refrigerator, and proof before
using.

Kept dry and sealed away from the vermin, flour without the germ can
probably outlast civilization.  Flour with the germ can keep several years
if kept cool and dry.

Bear