SC - RE: Rice

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at swcp.com
Wed May 19 10:46:23 PDT 1999

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) wrote:
> My only concern about this is rice is prime breeding ground for lots of
> nasty little bugs that cause stomache upsets.  I don't remember the details
> but I had a long discussion about 2-3 years ago with a sushi chef for about
> 5 hours on the ability of rice to produce food poisoning.

With no scientific ground to stand on, this seems pretty weird. What could
withstand 15-20 minutes of boiling? Also, since one of the hallmarks of
Japanese cooking is "It was hot once." they've had centuries of letting
the stuff lay about unrefrigerated. Indeed, as far as sushi goes, once
you've put nori (seaweed) on it, refrigeration is fatal to the texture of
the nori. I've never noticed any problem with even un-sushi-vinegared rice
balls at room temp for an afternoon. I'd be more worried about the meat in
the dolmades.

Mirhaxa
  mirhaxa at morktorn.com