SC - Recipe from an old Gourmet magazine

Ben Engelsberg bengels at chronic.lpl.arizona.edu
Sun May 23 20:56:38 PDT 1999

Ok, yes, this recipe uses non-period ingredients.  It would need to be
modified to use period ingredients if it was to be truely period.
Nonetheless, the recipe had a distinctly period feeling and flavour.

For an excellent brief history of vanilla, see this URL:
http://www.comecim.ch/fr/vanille/histovani.htm

For an excellent description of Allspice, it's origin, etc, see:
http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Pime_dio.html

This site has good info about other spices, as well.  The vanilla site,
just to forwarn you, is in French.