unfamiliar food at feast was Re: SC - Pot Luck

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 09:49:46 PDT 1999

>What a nice idea..."introducing people to barley".  I like that.  Many
>people
>are adventurous and will jump right in with a strange dish.  Others are
>cautious
>or even "scared" and only eat at feast that which is familiar.  I served
>artichokes at a feast.  Just one per table for people to try.  It was a
>large
>feast and I still had a few untouched chokes come back.

thats a pretty picky populace you got there!

the only unusual foods at my feast were asparagus and a goat cheese.

As for asparagus, while pre-cooking many veg so that at feast they only need
re-heating is good, it is a BAD plan for asparagus.  Made all the bitterness
develop.  Even I didn't think it was good, this during prime asparagus
season and I'm usually bad about taking more than my fair share of this
particular vegetable. It was cut into peices and a number of people ate it
anyway thinking it was merely badly prepared green beans!

At any table there seemed to be a balance of people who turned their nose up
at the goat cheese on principle and people who graciously offered to eat the
picky eaters serving as well as their own. At this point, I'd been pushed to
a seat at the table outside the kitchen door.  A group of newbies were there
and happily trying everything that came by, including the violets when the
murmer pointing out their edibleness reached our table.  That was very
satisfying. We had the equivalent of one serving dish leftover, and the
cooks and kitchen staff took care of that in short order, after having
already eaten their own dishful and scraped the mixing bowl very clean.

Bonne