SC - OT compulsive authenticity - was Pot Luck Part two....

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri May 28 10:00:59 PDT 1999

>The full story is that I wasn't criticizing some one. I was commenting to
>my
>family that the feasts  weren't as period as I thought they might be,

and your family is teasingly calling you an authenticity nazi, right? well,
perhaps you and they need to have a discussion on what they meant by that
and why bringing up the word will set people on edge. What more positive
phrase could be employed?  What specific behaviour of yours makes them want
to use the negative phrase?  Could be enlightening to them as well as you.

>still new to this Kingdom, and am seeing less period cookery  then I
>thought
>there would be.

that's what I thought about "here" 2 years ago.  From reading this list, my
current impression is that very few areas have consistently "period" feasts.
  That's OK.  Some people want to serve by cooking, but aren't curious about
cooking in period. Leave them be so long as they aren't claiming what they
cook is period. Service matters as much as research.  The ones to work with
are those that are curious.  Enough of them may eventually turn the tide, or
at least provide enough cooks that those not interested in period food will
have to find another way to serve the Society.

>As far as educating my fellow cooks. I still feel very much
>like a newbie having only helped on two feasts and what I have done in my
>own kitchen. I have enthusiasm , but not experience.  Perhaps I need to
>reevaluate my views on this, and how I am expressing myself.

I've helped at 5 or 6 and cooked one feast and a lunch. I'm about to teach a
class in "what to bring to/expect at feast" next month. I don't know when
the newbie feeling goes awayy.

Your veiws sound as if they mesh with this list very well, and you express
yourself as any of us.  But, we are a relatively small group spanning the
Knowne Worlde and not even the whole list agrees on that as a goal. I'm sure
I'm not the only one with a period cooking interest that feels isolated with
noone locally to learn from. Nor can I be the only one whose local
difficulties are compounded by reports that others have come here and felt
attacked.  When I do work with the recognized cooks in my area, I have to be
careful when I reference this list--more than a few people make faces and
grumble something that sounds an awful lot like "authenticity police" or
"nazi".  *sigh* I almost ran off myself after an early post met with
Cariadoc's questions.  I was at first defensive but then took his remarks as
challenging and have proceeded from there.

Bonne