SC - What's cooking at the Tabard?

WICKHAM Raymond raymond.wickham at customs.gov.au
Fri May 28 19:59:16 PDT 1999

Greetings all
You said
"According to the travel journals of Alexander Neckham in Paris, taverns
would often cook whatever foodstuffs the travelers brought with them
(picked up in the market just around the corner, say), for a small fee.
He talks about buying a chicken, having the goodwife cook it, and after
dining on it, he stuffs the leftovers in his wallet to eat on the road.
Margery Kemp describes carefully how she had to provision herself for
her journeys to the holy land, even on shipboard.
I'm wondering how medieval the concept of a tavern where you can buy a
full meal is? Or even if there's a hunk of meat you can buy a slab off
of, how common was it to have more than one choice available? I know the
"restaurant" is a fairly modern concept...
what do other folks think?

	Didn't the origin of the wayfarers or later known as plough
lights for inns in England occur due to legislation that they had to
have a hot meal and be available twenty four hours as part of their
licence
	This was the origin of mulagatawny soup (or so I believe)
	And the origin of pot luck as anything may be in the communal
pot

Damocles Truhart