SC - Welcome

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat May 1 22:25:39 PDT 1999

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> >(Actually there is probably a shortbread recipe from December of 1600
> >or so, but Nouvelle Cuisine doesn't really count)
> >
> >David/Cariadoc
> >http://www.best.com/~ddfr/
>
> Funny, Nouvelle Cuisine always denotes the '80s in my mind, the 1980's,
> that is!  (Comes from working in a French restaurant in the early 80's, I
> guess , tournee'd carrots, large plates, small portions, swirls in the
> sauce...)
> Christianna

What makes it especially funny is that A) the expressson and concept
originated in France in the 1950's, B) it reached its height in America
in the 1980's, a decade that owed a fair amount of its pop culture to
the 1950's, and C) it is now effectively as dead no matter which past
decade it originated in ;  ) .

I dunno if I would characterize tourneed carrots as a nouvelle thing,
(possibly a bit too contrived?) but the sauces applied from squirt
bottles in bizarre patterns, and the big plates with small portions, I
would, bearing in mind, of course, that if you order an appetizer or
soup, one or more wines, an entree, a salad, a dessert and/or coffee
with petits fours, as any civilized person would ;  ), small portions
are less of an issue, and you're fine regardless.

The reservationist at Bouley used to advise reserving clientele they
should reserve a three-hour block of time so as not to rush through
lunch... . The only thing more amazing than the fact that they did this
is the fact that people went along with it and routinely had a wonderful
time.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy