SC - Seeking wheat illumination - OOP

Sun May 2 09:22:51 PDT 1999

> >>Are spaetzle made in the same way as Italian pasta is?  And what are
> all
> those different flours they have in Germany?  <<
>
> I don't know, Elysant, what are the flours are, but I think they are
> different kinds of milling.  We have bread flour, all-purpose, and cake
> flour, which is very fine.  They have a lot more.
>
> Allison

Actually, it is not so much the milling but the percentage of gluten they
contain, although cake flour is usually finer than the others.  Bread flour
is high-gluten, cake flour is low gluten, and all-purpose flour is a blend
of the two.  Then you get types of wheat, fineness, bran content, germ
content and all the other esoteric things bakers play with.

Bear