SC - Another observation on clean-up

Mon May 3 11:03:53 PDT 1999

> Culture shock time. . .what Bear described is unusual in that someone did
> the
> dishes for you, but the dish washing station is common here in the
> Outlands
> and I guess I thought that it was normal everywhere else.  I guess that's
> why
> I agree so strongly with Ras that doing the feaster's dishes is not the
> job
> of the scullery crew.
>
> Noemi

Not so much culture shock as praise for a job well done.  I believe the crew
which manned the wash line was there primarily to keep things moving and
clear the hall in an expeditious manner, so that it could be cleaned and
ready for the church-goers in the morning.  In 20-odd years in the game,
I've come across the dish washing line a number of times.  This was the
smoothest operation I have ever seen.

I will admit the practice has fallen out of use in Ansteorra and was never
widely used in the first place.  I suspect one of the reasons we don't do
this is many of our sites don't lend themselves to setting up a dish washing
line (having more than once in earlier days hauled the pots and pans out in
30 gallon trash bags to wash at home because we couldn't do them on site).
Since it is not common, we fail to think of setting up a dish washing line
when a site can support it.  I keep 1 gallon Zip-locs and small trash bags
in my gear to take care of not being able to wash dishes on site.

The clean up crew in the kitchen should not be doing people's dishes, nor
should they be bothered by an underfoot rabble interrupting the work flow to
clean personal dishes.  The way St. Golias organized their dish washing line
(on the far side of the buillding from the kitchen) ensured that the clean
up crew would not be bothered.

Bear