SC - Citron and Potato

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed May 5 21:49:32 PDT 1999

Phlip said:

> Um, are you folks aware that some of the yams and sweet potatoes have VERY
> pale flesh? If you can, check them out at an African grocery- thats where
> most of the varieties I've seen have been.

Just a reminder to folks who may not know. Sweet potatoes and yams are two
different plants. One is from the New World and one from the Old.

Unfortunately, it appears that many grocerers are not particular about
which term they use. Phlip, are you sure that what you saw called yams
and sweet potatoes were indeed each what was labeled? If you saw these
both at the same place and time, I guess that would increase the chances
that the labeling was correct.

I've heard of Asian groceries and Middle Eastern groceries before. This
is the first time I've heard of African groceries. What kind of foods
do they offer? Who is their regular clientele? Are they a good source
for any particular medieval cooking supplies?

I found a bottle of rosewater, bulk pine nuts (pineolas) and renet
(although vegetable-based) at Sun Harvest Natural Food Grocery this
afternoon. I also noticed they had bulk flours of various types
including spelt, semolina and others I've heard mentioned here. So
I guess I know where to start my search if I ever get daring
enough to try some pasta or bread or spetzle.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****