Libum (was RE: SC - OT Dogs vs Cats...)

Thu May 6 19:18:05 PDT 1999

You might have gotten away with adding the flour, but you also extended the
cooking time, so you reduced the percentage of available liquid and
lengthened the time in the oven which increased the evaporation.  Result dry
and hard.

The low temperature is supposed to melt the loaf together without spreading
it across the baking sheet.  The 30 minutes Giacosa recommended would cook
off most of the excess liquid, but still leave the loaf moist.

Bear