Libum (was RE: SC - OT Dogs vs Cats...)

Heitman fiondel at fastrans.net
Thu May 6 21:11:11 PDT 1999

At 06:01 PM 5/6/99 -0600, you wrote:
>At a first guess, the dough probably should be sticky.  At the second, your
>cooking time was way, way too long.
>> 2 CUPS OF FLOUR
>> 2 EGGS
>> 1 1/2LBS CREAM CHEESE
>> 4 WHOLE BAY LEAVES.
>>
>> The dough was too stickey so I added about 1/2 cup more of flour and had a
>nice
>> smooth dry dough. I baked it in one loaf at 350 for about 1 hour and 10
>minutes
>> before it was done. I'm not a baker what did I do wrong?
>> Badger

I am going to assume that this had a steam rise since I don't see any other
rising agents. Therefore, I agree with the "should have remained sticky"
theory.

One of the "problems" with a nice smooth dough is the density of the loaf,
and the need of the oven heat to penetrate all the way through for a proper
bake.  In other words, it took so long because the smooth dough was too
thick for a quick bake.

You didn't give any indication as to the way that the period piece was
served (if one was indicated by your source). Could this have been made in
a manner similar to drop spoon biscuts?  These would remain the
sticky/loose dough, and yet would have cooked up fairly quickly. OR, if you
really think that you LIKE having the thick smooth raw product, try making
them into bread sticks rather than one pound loafs in a standard
rectangular pan. Even a french loaf (long and smallish) would give the same
result.

You might also try reducing the cream cheese to only one pound instead of a
pound and a half, while maintaining some extra flour. Won't change the
flavor much, but will reduce the hard to draw out moisture, and thus the
baking time. The egg "moisture" will solidify on its own without having to
be "dried out".

Good Luck. (of course, now *I* have to go try this)

Franz