SC - accomodating vegetarians

Lady Elisabeth pndarvis at execpc.com
Fri May 7 13:46:04 PDT 1999

Vegetarian back up to the plate:
You're welcome.  I have cooked many feasts that are plentiful for all except
vegans.  My goal is to someday cook a lenten or fast day feast, where the
only meat is fish, and plenty of vegetables. So comments and questions:

you know,  I have run into alot of people that do the prima donna thing with
food regardless of vegetarian or not, anything from the "I'm a vegetarian,
what do you have for me to eat?" to the meat eaters that did the "I dont eat
vension,veal,organ meats, (or insert any other meat that isnt a steak cut)
because (fill in the blank)."  It just happens that I find more vegetarians
are more concious of what can go into a supposed vegetarian dish that is a
meat based product.  One example that I will use: friend serving stuffing,
the Stove top kind.  they said "oh its vegetarian"  actually, it is a
chicken stock base.  (me, Im not so fussy, i am a vegetarian because of my
intestines and not by choice, but I have been vegetarian for almost 14  out
of my 29 years,)
 yeah, I know what to look for but it doesnt mean that (insert cooks name
here) should cater to my needs at a feast.  Posting ingrediants is good.
but I think for those people with real allergies, same thing should apply.
you're allergic to nuts, dont eat (fill in dish name) because it has nuts in
it.  You dont like onions, dont eat them.

Now for the questions:
I have seen the responses, and I have to say most cooks on this list are
accomodating without intentially being accomodating to vegetarians (not
vegan).  Are more and more cooks being approached with these requests?  How
about vegan requests?  Is it because the ratio of meat to veg dishes is
greater, or that some veg dishes have dairy,egg,meat broth, so there really
is NOT a veg dish? (just curious-cause I eat eggs and dairy, and an
occasional fish if the stomach is ok, but less and less=sadness)
Allergy requests: Are more and more allergy requests coming in to you as
cook?  Are they the same allergy requests?   (ex: Person X likes to sit
feasts but allergic to black pepper, or whatever, and so for the last 3
feasts, you got this request from Person X)

What about the persons who, and I am not necessarily one of them, are not
just researching medieval cooking for themselves but just for feasts?  Are
they seeing an increase in requests for accomodations, not just vegetarian?

just curious about those of you outside of the meat and potatos midwest,
Lady Elisabeth
PS happy to meet faces at Pennsic :)  Will be camping with Griffyn's
Gate/Northshield.