SC - Food Allergies

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Tue May 11 08:54:34 PDT 1999

I've been reading all these mails about 'food allergies' ; and whilst I'm
not belittling them in any way - I'm personally allergic to penecillin, and
shouldn't therefore eat blue cheese - I'm amazed at how many people on this
list can't eat huge amounts of different foods!

It makes you wonder about how people historically must have survived, with
food allergies - without modern medecine, it must have been difficult to
identify. It also makes me wonder about the use of modern technology in
farming and food production - are allergies link to chemical poisoning etc
from hormones pesticides irradiation and the rest.

It seems to me that most of the cooks have posted here great reams about
significant numbers of people with food allergies or fads in the US in each
group, comparative to my personal experience of  a much lower number of
allergies in the UK. I have to admit though that the numbers of fads are no
different, and the allergies are rapidly increasing.

I wonder if the preponderance of pre-cooked, 'artificial' food in daily life
causes these allergies?

i wonder what food allergies would have been defined as in previous times!

karin