SC - Inexpensive Spices re:Personal recipes

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 09:02:14 PDT 1999

>Where I am, we have very few good places to buy spices nearby, other than
>your very basic items. The nearest with some selection is about an hour
>away, the best nearby is two hours away, and Frederich's area is about 4
>hours away,
>
>Don't know about the rest of you, but because of the difficulty in getting
>to civilization,

Perspective is everything.  I live in a metropolitan area ("Research
Triangle Park" aka Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, NC).  My daily commute is
40 minutes one-way, so I consider an hour away to be "close" when shopping.
Two hours a not unreasonable distance to drive for a special item. I'd
probably combine it with exploring other SCA-useful shops in whichever town
I was going to OR check the baronial list for someone living nearer to the
store in question, have them make the purchase and pass it to me at an event
or through others attending various guild meetings and practices in the
barony.  Four hours is well beyond the edge of the barony in any direction,
but still within a Saturday afternoon range, perhaps take a carload and find
out what other stores are in the area, or combine it with a trip to an
event.

Admittedly, most of my spice purchases can be made at one of two stores
within walking distance, or several ethnic groceries that are on my
commuting route.  On the other hand, the Piece Goods Fabric chain went
bankrupt last year, and now the chain that bought their properties is
closing as well. We have no place in Durham to buy fabric except Wal-Mart's
limited stock. So now I must drive a minimum of 40 minutes, and farther yet
to get to a store I can actually afford.  I'm so lucky my interest is in the
kitchen and not the sewing basket!

Bonne