SC - First topics

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri May 14 08:46:07 PDT 1999

> Wait a minute.  I thought _all_ feasts were supposed to make an effort at
being
> period.  They aren't????
>
> wajdi

BWAAHAHAHAHAHA...heehee...cough...sniff

Um, that was a joke right?

I have seen Stewards swear to having NONE of that period slop at their events.
I've seen steak and mashed potatoes extravaganzas, a good friend of mine got
an A&S award for cooking feasts of roast beef, potatoes and cobbler as well
as organizing chili night. There have been spaghetti and pizza feasts as
well as stir-fry buffets. These are all meals I've attended and enjoyed but
were not remotely period and they weren't meant to be.

Before the period bug caught me I would do fancy feasts but didn't have a clue
about period except for the really nasty "period" feasts I'd been forced to
attend. I also didn't use tomatoes, potatoes or green beans. That was pretty
much it. I liked to do fancy gormet dishes to try to bring up the average Texan
palate such as Chicken Normandy, Sicilian grilled pork, Sesame sauteed roasted
vegetables, truffles, etc.. and only rarely did anything truly period. And I
was considered one of the better feastocrats.

Happily things are changing and a genuine interest in making everything more
authentic is growing here in Ansteorra. Even as King I've had to have been
dragged from the kitchen where we were talking about period techniques and
recipes, and this was in the Northern area where there are wonderful cooks but
not many period ones.

Yours,

Gunthar