SC - Sources, not sauces... slightly OT

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon May 17 03:50:12 PDT 1999

Aelfwyn at aol.com wrote:

> I've been the A&S for my Province setting up a large
> competition. You need to find folks willing to judge and you pray that they
> will exercise tact in any comments they make on entry sheets. Then you need
> to be sure the folks that do the judging will be ones people will consider
> unbiased (this competition was for a war point as part of Great Northeastern
> War).

The above part, at least, would sound like the baileywick of a good
referee, someone who does no actual judging, but who ensures that
everything is above board, under rules so constructed as to be seen to
be unable to directly influence the voting outcome. I've also considered
a simple, formal admonition to the judges, before the judging begins,
reminding them why they are there, and that if there's any question of
their ability to judge tactfully, they should probably excuse
themselves. Not exactly a permanent solution, but usually enough to get
them to b exra conscientious for the necessary half-hour or so... ;  )

> When you make up the categories to be used you try to gauge to the
> knowledge of the available judges, but then there are always people wanting
> to enter very valid items in categories you know are not your judges' forte.
> Alas, some very fine judges WILL make ill advised comments on those entry
> sheets. In NO WAY am I defending the "they didn't fry" comment, merely
> offering another angle to view it from. FYI: You can identify the local A&S
> Mistress at a competition as the one off in a corner quietly having a minor
> breakdown. I find I much prefer the kitchen, thank you just the same.
> Aelfwyn

Yeah, well, I'm inclined to agree. I've judged in one competition,
entered two, and never run any, and now, somehow, I'm the A&S minister
for my region of the kingdom. I must have blinked, or something. I'm
trying to build a series of A&S-themed events for the region, more or
less like a Laurel's Prize Tourney, but with significant differences,
namely that there will be no actual competition, but more of an
exhibition/private A&S demo/A&S fair, with our Laurels going around with
their little black books and their prizes, if they so desire. The goal
is to have an atmosphere where artisans are encouraged to come strut
their stuff, without the bulk of the pressure.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com