SC - Potluck help!

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Wed May 19 03:13:20 PDT 1999

My only concern about this is rice is prime breeding ground for lots of
nasty little bugs that cause stomache upsets.  I don't remember the details
but I had a long discussion about 2-3 years ago with a sushi chef for about
5 hours on the ability of rice to produce food poisoning.

the summary version is that the husk ( and the powder left on the rice after
processing) is very rich in bacteria, apparently there is one particular
nasty that is prevalent - that's why rice MUST be kept in the fridge for as
long as possible, and must not be reheated more than once. The reason he was
enthusiastic is that apparently the vinegar and saki seasoning that (his)
sushi rice is marinaded in is ideal for killing off and/or retarding the
growth of these bugs - so it could be stored for significantly longer at
room temperature - apparently his FHO ran some laboratory tests on it.

So, if your cooler isn't really cool, be careful with rice! OTOH - my mother
took rice salads on picnics for years and we never had any trouble.........

Karin