SC - Honey Butter

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu May 20 08:10:06 PDT 1999

hi all from Anne-Marie

Arglwydd tells us:
At 03:10 PM 5/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I was reading Anne Willan's "Great Cooks and Their Recipes from Taillevent
>to Escoffier" and I came across a reference to honey butter in late period.
>On page 42 while discussing Bartolomeo Scappi's "Opera" (1570) she
>captions a drawing "Scappi advises a cool place with high windows as a
>dairy.  A kitchen boy twirls a whisk between both hands while another at
>right stirs honey butter."  The drawing itself has captions which may
support
>her translation.
>
>Does anyone know what "Luochi freschi doue fá lauoreri de latte" translates
>as?  Or "Si fa lauoreri di latte"? Or "neueue si fa"? Or "latte mele si fa"
>
>I also wonder, is the boy with the whisk whipping cream?

This particular picture is the source of much discussion in the Madrone
CUlinary GUIld. We have a couple bodies who specialize in Italian food
history, and I believe the general take was that The kitchen boy twirling
the whisk is indeed making whipped cream ("he makes snow" I believe is the
caption). The other boy, at the butter churn is cited as "he makes sweet
milk". There is some debate as to whether or not this is really making
honey butter (will butter churn with honey added? or is he just taking soft
butter and using the churn to mix it? seems wasteful... though somone gets
to lick the paddle :)), or whether hes making sweet butter, ie not salted...

hope this helps,
- --Anne-Marie