SC - "personal recipies"

Allison Hewett bf17346 at binghamton.edu
Thu May 20 14:30:52 PDT 1999

> So, how are you making them to be vegetarian?  I realize you are busy
> right now, but hope you will post recipies and brands of jelling
> ingredients after the week-end.

Ager-ager (seaweed gelatin)

I can dredge up the full recipies I used for the booklet, if anyone is interested, but
they were basically almond milk (almonds, blanched, processed to paste with a bit of
water, mixed with hot water and strained), mixed with sugar (I used 2/3 c. per 4 c. of
almond milk for the last three batches, which was still a bit much) and mixed with the
ager-ager as the directions specified.  Almost.  I found that I had to simmer for much
longer then it said on the package (almost a half-hour, not five minutes,) or the gelatin
had a tendencey to settle to the end.

Overall, the cheescakes (from the Miscellany) tasted divine and looked fairly good; the
almond eggs looked fabulous (served in nests of lettuce, ornamented with flowers left over
from the salads.)  Since serving was, as usuall, balled up, I got to take the eggs to high
table myself.  I was so tired, etc., that I don't even remember how TRM's reacted; I
thought they looked fabulous!

So, now that I've recovered from working all night, cooking all day, packing all night,
and then graduating....when can I do it again?

Yours,
Alethea
now translplanted to Maine...