SC - What to call it?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 21 07:45:40 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> For instance, St. Martha.  Given her background as the mother of Mary, this
> is the person who nurtured and raised Mary, she most likely passed her
> homemaking skills on to her daughter also. This is why St. Martha, the saint
> of cooks, was chosen by The Guild of St. Martha as it's patron.

Um, close. Martha is the sister of _a_ Mary (who may or may not be Mary
Magdalene) and the sister of Lazarus, of whom it is said Jesus raised
him from death. Martha is a patron of cooks, probably, due to an
incident in which Martha worked to prepare a meal for Jesus and his
disciples, while Mary sat and talked with da guys. Martha suggested Mary
should get off her backside and help her, and Jesus reportedly told her,
essentially, to lighten up, that Mary was doing the right thing and
Martha should follow her example.

Saint Anne is the mother of the Virgin Mary.

> Interestingly, St. Martha is usually portrayed as an elderly lady and her
> pictures usually include a dragon coiled at her feet on a leash. This gives a
> whole new insight into the concept of the kitchen witch (e.g. the Crone) that
> we hang above our stoves to prevent things from burning or cooking
> improperly.. It is not hard to imagine the Christ family hurrying over to
> Martha's for a nice Sunday dinner of roast chicken and lamb kabobs. :-)

This sounds like a scene that might well have ended up in "The Life of
Brian". "Oh, 'e's the Son of God but can't make the time to call 'is
grey-'aired old grandmother! And eat your mallow greens! There are
Romans 'o'd be glad to get those!"

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy