SC - OT - STIRBRIDGE VILLAGE COOKBOOK - LONG

Weaver8002 at aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Sat May 22 11:02:09 PDT 1999

Melisande wrote:
ooo!  If you please, what is the name of the book, author, and
publisher (maybe even ISBN?).  I would like to have a good reference to
fireplace cooking other than boyscout type hand books (not that there's
anything wrong with them, but they say different things than fireplace
cooks say).  Do you think it would be available at a regular book store,
or would I have to order it from Stirbridge Village "Gift" store?

Melisande:

Alas and alack - I went looking for my copy as soon as I read your note and
found it missing.  I just checked Amazon.Com, they have it for $14.95.

The title is Old Sturbridge Village Cookbook, edited by Caroline Sloat.  I
thought I would also send the one recipe I copied out of it so you could see
if this is what you're looking for.

Margherita the Weaver

PORK AND APPLE PIE
Make your crust in the usual manner, spread it over a large deep plate, cut
some slices of fat pork very thin, also some sliced of apple; place a layer of
apples and then pork, with a very little allspice, and pepper and sugar
between – three or four layers of each, with crust over the top, bake one
hour.

1 ½  cups pork cut in thin slices		3 cups apples, cut in thin
slices
1 cup brown sugar				1 t allspice
Crust for a two-crust pie

Modern method:  Prepare the piecrust and place lower crust into pie plate.
Layer slices of
apple and pork.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and allspice. Cover with top
crust.  Bake in
preheated F 400 oven for one hours
Note:  check at 45 minutes.

Hearth method:  Follow steps 1 and 2 in the Modern Method recipe. Bake for
one hour in
a bake-oven or bake-kettle that has been preheated 15 minutes.  If using the
bake-kettle,
change coals after 25 minutes of baking.

What I Did:
Peel, core, and slice 4-5 Granny Smith apples and 2 Bartlett pears.  Mix with
½ cup of
brown sugar, a teaspoon of cinnamon and a ½ teaspoon of nutmeg.  Taste for
sweetness.
Add more sugar and spice if needed.

Cut 1 ¼ to 1 ½ pounds of lean pork into thin slices about the same size as
the apple slices.
Do not be too careful about removing the fat form the pork, a little fat is
good.

Mix a good packaged pie crust according to directions, using whole wheat
flour to roll it
out on.  Spread ½ of the apple mixture in the bottom of the pie, then layer
in all the pork.
Top the pork with the rest of the apple mixture.  Cover with top crust and
bake at 400
degrees for about an hour.  Check at the 45 minute mark.

Old Sturbridge Village Cookbook