SC - Pot Luck Part two....

Maureen Martin mlmartin at freewwweb.com
Wed May 26 22:03:53 PDT 1999

Zoe wrote:
> I also got very few responses to my query to the list, Is that because no
one takes things to potlucks?

Laura C Minnick wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Karen O wrote:
>
> >         I  prefer to attend Feast that is serving appropriate fare
> > (otherwise, any good resturant will do).   and I know a particular Royal
> > Peer who asks the menu in advance before making reservations  -- 'coz he
> > will only attend if it is *truly* medieval.
>
>         Just a random question- are potlucks (or even the concept) period?
> I don't know of any evidence that people brought dishes to a communal
> feast (though I suspect there might have been something like that in small
> villages), but we do have accounts opf community feasts sponsored and paid
> for by individuals, families, guilds, confraternities, etc. I would think
> a host mighthave been offended if someone brought food to a feast.
>         I tend not to eat at potlucks (if I can gracefully avoid it)
> because the three times that I've gotten food poisoninhg at an event
> have been at a potluck. My personbal preference. ;-)
>
> 'Lainie

Would that we HAD potlucks here in BFS.  They are few and far between
(yes, I hear the chorus in the background whispering "Volunteeeer!").  I
have heard of a few instances of food poisoning hereabouts, but they
seem to be in the ancient past.  There are a few folks who will not eat
the dishes brought by a few other folks, but I have not heard of vast
instances of illness and I myself have never taken ill due to potluck
poisoning (knock on computermonitor).  Is this common?  Perhaps that is
why we do not have many potlucks here!?

Melisande

[And, no I don't suppose potlucks are period, but they are practical in
the Current Middle Ages.]