SC - apologies

Victoria Wilson chaoscat at in-tch.com
Mon Nov 1 16:27:11 PST 1999

Hi all!

I went to Washington DC on a day trip through my university on
Saturday and made a point of visiting the Folger.  The exhibit
"Fooles
and Friccasees" (free admission) is all about cooking in
Shakespeare's
era. All sorts of wonderful books and pamphlets, and very well
written
explanatory placards,  plus an actual place setting with real
artifacts of the period made me wish I'd had more time to stop
and try
to read every single exposed page. Unfortunately photography of
the
exhibit is prohibited.

The best pieces I saw was a pair of pamphlets regarding coffee...

The first was a broadside published by the women of London who
were
demanding that the coffeehouses be closed down because the excess
of
coffee the men were drinking was making them impotent!  LOL!

The second was the men's rebuttal to the women's charge and
amounted
to a defense of the coffee houses as places of intellectual
discourse
and a suggestion that the women should temper their excessive
amourous
desires by nightly drinking a cup of clabbered milk to assuage
their
"fires."  *snicker!*

The catalog of the exhibit cost $26.95 at the library's shop, and
understand it is available through their website
(http://www.folger.edu).  I didn't have enough spending money to
purchase it but will be getting it through the website after my
next
payday.:)

If you can get to the Folger, I highly advise seeing the exhibit
if
you get the chance.