SC - Eels

Elysant@aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 05:45:22 PST 1999

"Michael F. Gunter" wrote:

> We are looking at
> <snip> fish balls in parsley sauce,

Would this be a Scandinavian fiskboller-type thing? I mention this only
because I've served salmon balls, well, dumpling thingies, anyway, based
on a recipe in, I think, The Forme of Cury, for saumon gentil. It calls
for raw, boned salmon meat to be minced and made more or less
homogeneous in a mortar, then the forcemeat is exruded through a cut off
cow's horn (like a pastry bag, which is what we used) into boiling
water, then cooked and drained, cut into portions, and served with a
dusting of ground cumin. We actually served ours on top of a green sauce
made with lots of parsley, as a matter of fact. Also sage, a little
chervil, a few scallions, etc.

Tricks to be scrupulously observed for future use of this recipe would
be to trim off all the skin (which we did) but to leave the fat (which
we did not) to help keep it all moist. You also want to be aware that
they cook in a flash, in total disregard of the fine calculation work
done by the eminent Canadian fisheries lady, Mrs. Spencer (she of the
eight-minutes-per-inch-of-thickness rule).

Still and all, this is the one time I served a dish that prompted a lady
to leap up on top of her table and proceed to tell the tale of Finn Mac
Cumhal and the Salmon of Knowledge. _I_ thought it was pretty cool...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com