SC - garbage

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Thu Nov 4 23:30:33 PST 1999

I hope that got your attention - didn't quite know how to summarise 15 essay
titles in one line...

The Research Centre for the History of Food & Drink at the University of
Adelaide (in Australia) is about to launch a book I thought might interest
some of you. "Food, Power and Community: Essays in the History of Food and
Drink" is a collection of refereed papers from the research centre's first
International Conference, held earlier this year. Some of the essays have an
exclusively Australian focus, but there are a couple of much earlier ones:
Michael Symons on "Did Jesus Cook", Barbara Santich on "Who were the most
temperate and best mannered people in medieval Europe?"  and John Cashman on
" 'La cuisine diabolique': the functions of food in early modern European
witchcraft".

If anyone wants further details, let me know. (I have nothing to do with the
book. My only connection is that as a member of the centre, I pay my $10
every year, longingly read the list of events and conferences and then admit
reluctantly that I can't be in two places at once...)

Kylie